Monday, December 7, 2009

A Sports Dinner Invocation

I was recently invited to give the invocation at the annual JCC Sports Hall of Fame fundraiser dinner.


I opened with the following story --


There’s an old line that asks, “What does a Jewish woman make for dinner?” And the answer is: “Reservations.”


I then proceeded to suggest a different punch line, one which is more positive and truer and more accurate. Instead of saying, “reservations,” I suggest the answer to the question should be, “Donations.”


I then went on to explain that during any typical week, there are a number of dinners sponsored various Jewish organizations. It is possible to make a contribution and eat out just about every night of the week.


The significant point is that this is a reflection of our Jewish values. As a people and community, it is truly remarkable to note how much we do on behalf of others. We Jews should take pride in our collective and individual philanthropic efforts.

No comments: